Surf inflicts damage and has no secondary effect.
Surf is able to hit opponents during their semi-invulnerable turn of Dive. When it does, the move will deal double damage.
Out of Battle
The move can be used to travel across bodies of water. Players will also need to have a Pokémon on their team that knows it unless a surf mount is owned. Furthermore, it is necessary to have both HM03 and a specific badge of the current region to be able to use Surf or a surf mount outside of battle.
The badge required for each region are the followings:
- Kanto: Soul Badge (Fuchsia City)
- Johto: Fog Badge (Ecruteak City)
- Hoenn: Balance Badge (Petalburg City)
- Sinnoh: Fen Badge (Pastoria City)
HM03 is acquired at the following:
- Safari House 4 in Kanto Safari Zone Area 3. The Safari is in Fuchsia City, however, you will need to first beat the gym and defeat Victor before searching for HM03. Once done with the gym, go south to the beach which is where Victor is.
|No.||Pokémon||Type 1||Type 2|
Emboldened Pokémon avail from a STAB bonus for this move.